Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fans and Silk Scarves @ Chinatown (Singapura Series)

In our frequent visits to Chinatown in Singapore, there was this one shop there where they sell silk paper fans and authentic Chinese silk  and wool scarves which caught our fancy. This is the Hwa Yi Investments Co. Ltd store at 20 Trengganu Street






They have an assortment of paper and silk fans with hand-painted designs and an array of scarves even chopsticks and other fancy souvenirs made of wood such as cigar boxes and jewelry boxes. Their wide collection of chopsticks like below also caught my eye since I couldn't imagine using such beautiful work of art for eating! Most are made from the finest bamboo and hand painted with designs and some with Chinese characters. Too bad I was too caught up choosing designs for the S$1 fans I thought were good deals for a unique souvenir that I forgot to ask for the prices of the chopsticks. :) Sorry, I'll take a rain-check on these and blog about it next time. 




The store was manned by a fellow Pinay who was so nice that we couldn't help but buy a few items for pasalubong back home. She's the one in pink below. :) She was able to sales talk us into buying a few trinkets even if the  items were a bit pricey for me.  Some of the fans they sell like the pure silk fan displayed below go from S$50 to S$268 for big ones. But then if you look at the quality and craftsmanship of the items they sell, you wouldn't wonder why their so pricey.




My cousin bought a brown leopard print wool scarf for S$49 below. Which is actually a good deal considering that it is real wool and has a dual purpose of keeping you really warm and fashionable as well. If only I also have plans (well more of the means..hehe) of going to the US, maybe I would've bought one for myself as well. 


Besides wool scarves, they also have pure Chinese silk scarves with hand-painted designs and plain pashminas that  are sort of like real eye candy for me. 



For myself, I bought this silk fan with hand painted design on real high quality bamboo and wood for S$22. Considering that I saw fans like this at Rustan's for about Php 1,500. It was a really good buy for me. :) Love my new fan!

How to Get There
- MRT Station Outram Park or Chinatown. MRT is the fastest mode of public transport as compared to public buses. If you are taking buses, get off at Eu Tong Sen Street.

3 comments:

sheng said...

I love fans, I bring along a fan with me, now na madalas ang brownout.

jeanny said...

i love scarf. Very useful cya lalo na sa ofc :-)

Will visit this pag punta namin :-)

Unknown said...

hi sheng and jeanny.. thanks for reading my blog :) visit this store at Singapore's chinatown if you have the chance.. look for our kababayans there to get really good discounts..