Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gallivanting in Universal Studios (Singapore Day 1)

Singapore never fails to surprise me. Since my last visit to this beautiful city about two years ago, a lot has been added for the ardent tourist that frequent their streets. And one such addition is the Universal Studios Singapore of Resorts World Sentosa.

Like little kids - me, my sister and my mom trooped over to Universal Studios on our first day at the Lion city... talk about being young at heart! :) We purchased our tickets online just to skip the queue that will surely greet us on site. And also since we've heard that tickets are sold for a specific day, and might not be available at the gate when you visit if you haven't reserved in advance. --that's one tip for you dear reader in case you do visit Universal Studios Singapore. :)

The moment we alighted from the Sentosa Express, we got so excited we didn't know which attraction to try first. The movie theme park as we noticed is divided into seven major attractions:
  • Hollywood Boulevard
  • New York
  • Sci-Fi City
  • Ancient Egypt - my fave :)
  • Lost World
  • Far-far Away and
  • Madagascar
 The Hollywood Boulevard and New York seem to be one and the same, like being transported into a street in NY or the movie capital of the world. Most of the souvenir shops which we love are located here like the specialty shop selling Betty Boop items


or the souvenir shop with miniature and lifesize Oscar trophies for sale! Sigh.. wishing I had a picture taken holding one of these trophies! --mental note to do next time. :)


Sci-Fi City houses the  Battlestar Galactica, an adrenaline pumping roller coaster ride which literally NOT for the faint hearted (ahhm like me :). It is the tallest pair of rollercoaster in the world with corkscrew spins and near collisions and..and...stuff that I am not really qualified to say since I didn't experience it first hand unlike my sister who was brave enough to tackle the ride by herself! ---Yep she lined up for it all by herself since I chickened out the last minute.hehe.


Another piece of advice for first timers: ride the RED roller coaster if you don't want any of the near death experience of mega inverted loops! It is way milder than the blue counterpart trust me. :) I took the photos.. hehe.

Ancient Egypt is one of my favorites. Maybe due to the fact that it is a good spot for photo ops. If you have time, be sure to take the "Revenge of the Mummy" ride since it propels eager guests to sharp turns and fast reverses, experience an infestation of scarab beetles and get the scare of your life from robotic warrior mummies! The only catch is, you have to rent a locker since bags of any kind are not allowed in the ride. Or invite your mom to come with you so she can watch your things for you.. hehe. :)


The souvenir shop though is quite pricey so the only thing I bought here is... not this pharoah like statue but a small Anubis topped ballpen  which already cost me..S$30 imagine that! :)


The Lost World is where Jurassic Park and Waterworld is located. But since we were not fans of dinosaurs or being wet in waterworld, we decided to pass this attraction.

Far-Far Away is the palace abode of Shrek and Princess Fiona. Sort of like a Disney castle, I'm so sure my little girl would've loved to go here. I'll make sure to take her here next time! (after i find a sponsor for our trip --calling daddy!) We were even fortunate enough to have our pic taken with Shrek and Princess Fiona!

Lastly, there's Madagascar. An attraction that kids will surely enjoy. I had the time of my life posing in every corner where I can find King Julien and the witty Penguins of Madagascar.. they are after all my little girl's favorite.


For a day at the Universal Studios, be prepared to shell out S$66  for a one day non-peak pass or S$72 for a one day peak pass. Check out their website here for online ticket purchases. Non-peak days are usually week days  and Peak days are usually during the weekends, during summer or school breaks and during the holidays.

To get to Resorts World Sentosa, you can take the Sentosa Express, with tickets (S$3 round trip) being sold at Vivo City Shopping Mall Level 3. Alight at Waterfront Station and voila!  Enjoy! -- we did! :)

2 comments:

PinayinTexas said...

You're beautiful as ever Lynette...and what a great Singapore vacation you had!

Unknown said...

thanks tina! for always finding time to stop by our blog :) loveyah!